Tuesday, August 17, 2010

#1. Read 50 books (3/50)

Among Other Things, I've Taken Up Smoking.

It was alright. Sweeney is a great writer, but I just think the actual story was a bit of a bore. She did a fantastic job describing NYC, not as the glittery glamorous set of Sex & the City, Gossip Girls (some of my favorites) and the likes, but as a tough-as-nail, hard to get by, and easy to get lost metropolis.
Through the whole book I went back and forth with my feelings for the main character Miranda, but mainly thought she was a bit of a self pitying, whingy baby. I found my self saying to her about 50 times "...Get over it..."

I would like to read more of Aoibheann Sweeny's work though.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I didn't even know you had that one. I'm in agreeance. I made it through about 2 chapters before I got bored and decided it wasn't for me!
    I love the cover though. That's what always draws me in, which could be a fault, since I'm probably missing out on some good literature that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what got me too! I thought it looked like a good read, but the more I learned about the girl, the less I thought she portrayed the image of the chick on the cover.

    ReplyDelete