Tuesday, August 10, 2010

#51 Save all pictures, then delete myspace.

Breaking up with Myspace has been one of the most irritating and exhausting things I've had to deal with in the past few weeks.

Once upon a time, I signed up for a Myspace account using my xxxxx@fsu.edu, e-mail address (provided to me by one of the finest institutions of higher learning, Florida State University, when I was a freshman in 2004). I've casually used it, mainly to supplement my FaceBook creeping, for the past 6 years. I recently decided to delete the account since it's become more of a liability than an asset in the "grown up"/ job searching world.


This I soon realized would be no easy task.






I started by just following the directions and trying to delete the account.


After being bombarded with, what seemed like 500 different ways to ask the same question, "Are you SURE you want to delete the account?", I found out that a message would be send to the e-mail address I used to originally start the account and I would need to send a response....................................the account that was closed by FSU 2 semesters after graduation.


No problem, I'll just change the e-mail address on the account, and have the message sent to my new address.

YEAH FREAKIN' RIGHT!!!!


I put in all the new contact info, press enter..........and................."A message will be sent to your original address, please respond and the contact address will be changed (not Myspaces words- just me regurgitating it, but you get the jyst of it)". Thus bringing me back to our original problem............IT'S GONE!!! THE ADDRESS NO LONGER EXISTS!!! WHY IS IT SO HARD?!?!? I JUST WANT MYSPACE OUT OF MY LIFE SO I CAN CHECK OFF #51. Save all pictures, then delete myspace.!!!


After about an hour of messing around on their site (which is more time than I've spent on there in the last 3 years) I had a mini freak out, and had to regroup. The following e-mail was sent to the IT department at FSU:


Hi there,
My name is Kylie M______, I was a student at Florida State from 2004-2008 and my FSUID was XXXXX@fsu.edu.

I understand that the e-mail address associated with my user ID was closed after my graduation. I am currently trying to delete a myspace account that was created using the closed address, apparently it is going to be imposable to delete the account with out access to the previously mentioned FSUID.

Is there any way I could have access to the address, or something so that I may delete the myspace account?

Thank you,
Kylie M________


I got an auto response from the help desk pretty much telling me that if I'm not a student or faculty or if my problem does not directly relate to financial aid I will have to wait until September 15th for my request to be addressed.


Yesterday I deleted one by one, every picture(after I saved them all) , comment, blog, and friend, I changed all the info to blank, I changed the name to "0", and put up a beautiful new picture, and I am now considering #51 accomplished.
New Myspace Profile Pic.

I chose a zombie picture, because that's what I'm considering the account, not quite completely alive but apparently not dead either.

No comments:

Post a Comment